The time it takes to initially warm your pool or spa depends on several factors:
- Determine how many gallons of water are to be heated. Knowing this, you can then compute the equivalent pounds of water involved, and the BTUs necessary to heat the volume of water to the desired temperature.
- Next, find the approximate BTU output of your heater at the current ambient air temperature (see specifications table in heater manual).
- Finally, decide upon the temperature at which you plan to maintain your pool or spa.
Sounds complicated, but it’s not! The following worksheets ( standard and metric) can be used to calculate approximately how long it will take your heater to bring your pool or spa up to temperature. Keep in mind that heating times will vary somewhat due to weather conditions during the period that the heater is in use.
When you start your AquaCal® heat pump for the first time, the heat pump must be permitted to operate, continuously, until the desired water temperature is attained.
- This may take several hours, to several days, depending upon the time of the year and weather conditions.
- If a time clock or similar device controls the operating time of the circulation pump, temporarily override the time clock or controlling device to allow for 24-hour, continuous water pump operation.
Once the body of water is up to temperature, the time clock can be reset.
- A heat pump is a maintainer of heat, and thus is sized to overcome heat losses. However, during the colder months, when heat losses are at their greatest, and in order to keep up with increased heat losses, water pump run times may need to be extended.
- Since air is generally at its warmest during the daytime, it is best to operate heat pumps during the daytime when there is more heat to transfer. Whenever possible, set system run times for daylight hours.
NOTE: An optional Call Flex Time Clock Manager (AquaCal® part #0030S) can eliminate the need to change water pump run times as heat losses change with weather conditions. Please contact your installing dealer for details. Contact our Customer Service department for Dealer Locator information.